Dunington – Grubb
DUNINGTON – GRUBB MONUMENT PLAQUE WORDING GAGE PARK
Dunington – Grubb Landscape Architects
In 1911, Howard Grubb and Lorrie Dunington, both landscape architects, were married in England. That year, they immigrated to Canada and set up an office in Toronto.
They wrote on and taught garden design and produced a vast number of residential and commercial designs in Toronto, around the province, the country, and abroad.
A few examples are University Avenue in Toronto, Parkwood, the estate of R.S. McLaughlin in Oshawa, and the Rainbow Bridge Gardens in Niagara Falls.
In 1913, they founded Sheridan Nurseries to produce plants for their many projects.
Locally, Howard and Lorrie Grubb were strongly promoted by Parks Board member Thomas McQuesten.
From 1919 to 1927, Dunington-Grubb were the landscape architects for Gage Park.
In 1926-27, they prepared a Master Plan for the northwest entrance of the City including the High Level Bridge and the surrounding area.
In 1927, they designed the entrance to McMaster University and the renowned Sunken Gardens, which were destroyed for an expanded plan of the McMaster Medical Centre.
They also designed the gardens at Battlefield Park Stoney Creek and the perennial beds and sunken gardens at Whitehern, the home of Thomas McQuesten.
Howard and Lorrie Grubb’s designs reflect the City Beautiful movement of that time as can be seen in the formal gardens and expansive views of Gage Park.
Much of their original design can still be seen in the park.
The Gage Park fountain was designed by John Lyle. Eugenie Gage sponsored its building. It was completed in 1927 and dedicated by Governor General Willingdon.
The fountain and its run off channel fit naturally into the design of the park.
The City of Hamilton restored the Dunington-Grubb Reflective Gardens as well as the main fountain to its original form in 2012/13 as part of a renewal plan for the park.